Involvement in IFATCA gives you and your Association a chance to bring your voice to the international stage and to represent you. Through our attendance and discussion with other MAs we get to:
- Access information regarding new technologies and procedures
- Obtain or provide mutual support from/to other MAs
- Form alliances and co-operation platforms with other Associations
- Compare working conditions, pay, technology, etc.,
- Gain a closer understanding of global ATC operations.
Another very important function of our attendance is that through IFATCA we are able to provide input into the ICAO process. Generally, a relatively small employee representative body would not be recognised at this level. Through years of hard work, IFATCA has in the meantime gained a lot of recognition within ICAO and has actively contributed to a number of ICAO initiatives, such as Fatigue Management and training policies. It is important that we have an ability to provide a balance between the state and service provider at this global level.
IFATCA today is working hard on the major issues that are affecting the ATC environment. These include:
- Commercialisation and corporatisation of ATC
- Technology such as new surveillance methods, remote towers, CPDLC
- Consolidation of service providers - including the Single European Sky project and the contracting of ATC by one State to another
- Accidents and incidents - IFATCA looks at the treatment of controllers, the process of investigation into causes, and the thoroughness of investigations.
- On-going involvement with ICAO and regional aviation organisations. IFATCA is one of only 3 organisations with official observer status at ICAO. We are also playing an increasingly important role in several regional organisations such as EUROCONTROL.